Powdered Sugar Doughnuts (Serves 8)
- 50g vegan butter
- 120ml soy milk
- 2 tbsp sunflower oil, plus extra for frying
- 250g plain flour
- 100g caster sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- Melt butter over a low-medium heat. Then add milk and 2 tablespoons of sunflower oil and mix together. Once combined, take off the heat and set aside.
- In a separate bowl, combine flour, 50g of sugar, baking powder and salt.
- Make a well in the center and pour in the butter mixture. Combine gradually until a thick dough forms.
- Using your hands, roll dough into little flat balls and with your thumb, press a hole in the center of each doughnut.
- Heat up oil in a pan and when ready gently lay the doughnuts into the oil using a spatula. Fry for about 3-5 minutes on each side, until golden brown.
- Transfer the doughnuts onto tissue paper to soak up any excess oil.
- Roll the doughnut into a bowl of the remaining half of sugar.